Friday, September 18, 2009

The Countryside


The bus tour to Siena and San Gimignano was fun, and I'm glad I got to see the "other" Italy. The fields, looking like chunks of green carpet flung across the rolling hills; the cypress trees punctuating the vistas like dark-green exclamation marks; the old farmhouses in shades of mustard, toast and cream; plump purple grapes just waiting to be plucked from the vines.
Siena's cathedral is so stunning I'm not sure anyone can do it justice with a mere camera. That's the ceiling above.
We took a lunch break near Siena's main piazza. I sat near two women from Japan, a couple from Birmingham, England, honeymooners from Long Island, honeymooners from Belgium, a couple from France and a couple from Boston.
Then off to San Gimignano, a beautiful village on a hill with some incredibly steep streets. It was packed with tourists, but I found some quiet spots far from the madding crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment